Here at Short Stop Chem-Dry we love helping people have healthy homes. In order to help you accomplish that, we’ve come up with these 6 home cleaning tips!
- Regularly wipe down countertops. Food, hands, and just about everything touches the countertops, which means they collect a lot of bacteria, dirt, dust, and allergens. Regularly wiping down the countertops will help to prevent the spreading of these germs. If your countertop is made of granite or tile you should use a mild cleaner. Also look for a cleaner that will refresh the counter’s sealer, which degrades over time, causing bacteria to enter the pores of the stone much easier.
- Keep carpets and rugs clean. Carpets and rugs are another area in your home that receives a lot of traffic a.k.a. receives a lot of germs. You should vacuum your carpets and rugs weekly, ideally with a vacuum that has a HEPA filter or a microfiltration system. This will extend the life of your carpets and make them look much better. There are, however, many toxins such as pet dander and urine, particle pollution, and other bacteria and allergens that can’t be removed by a vacuum alone. For that reason, the EPA suggests having a professional carpet cleaning company such as Short Stop Chem-Dry come and clean your carpets 2-3 times each year. It is also recommended that if you are a pet-owner as well as a homeowner, you find a professional cleaning service that can effectively detect and remove urine.
- Don’t forget about your upholstered furniture. It’s easier to remember to clean the carpets, but we often forget about the upholstery. The fact of the matter is that upholstered couches and chairs trap just as much unwanted particles as other areas of your home. Vacuuming the upholstery goes a long way, and for an even better cleaning, find a professional upholstery cleaning service.
- Sanitize high touch points around the house. You might notice a trend here – the most important areas to clean are those that get the most traffic. But traffic isn’t limited to just foot-traffic. Think of all the “hot spots” that get touched multiple times a day: door knobs, light switches, faucets, etc.. By sanitizing these areas, especially before and after guests visit your home, you will dramatically decrease the spreading of germs. Along with this comes the classic germ-stopping advice – wash your hands regularly!
- Use door mats or area rugs in entry ways and high-traffic areas. The reason why door mats and rugs are so awesome is that they trap the dirt and grime in one location. This makes it easier for you to clean and dispose of unwanted particles before they penetrate deeper into your home. This is an inexpensive and quick way to keep your family healthier!
- Check and replace your heating and air conditioning filters. Whether it is the summer or the winter, you are probably very grateful you have a furnace or an air conditioner in your home. These appliances have filters that need to be changed at regular intervals. If you fail to change them, they become ineffective and they will distribute dust around the house. To help you remember when your filter is due for a replacement, write down the date that you changed the filter on the outer edge of the new filter you are installing!
We hope you find these tips helpful in creating a cleaner and healthier home for your family! For professional carpet or upholstery cleaning, contact Short Stop Chem-Dry today!